The year of the unfinished gift. This one is a woven shibori scarf for my sister. 30/2 Silk, sett/woven 30 epi/ppi using green 10/2 mercerized cotton for the pattern tieing wefts. The draft shows only the pattern wefts. I wove 4 picks plain weave between each pattern pick. I used two twill drafts from the Catharine Ellis book as my starting point for the draft. It was easy to pull up with only 2 broken pulling threads and those only because I yanked instead of pulling evenly. A note to myself about the colour of the pattern thread – make sure it will contrast wth the dye colour one intends to use!
I took it off the loom and began finishing it two days before Christmas. It took a couple of long evenings of tyeing to get it ready for the dye pot.
My first choice had been an Indigo dyepot, but I was unable to locate any lye to prepare an Indigo pot in time so I used Procion MX. It was immersed first in a turquoise dye-bath,followed by a solution of Royal Blue applied randomly in spots along the length. The instructions were to let it cure for 48 hrs. It was wrapped up and came on the trip that way.
Christmas Eve I took it out of the bag, rinsed it and was pleased to find the dye had taken very well with no excess dye washing out. Then this very tight bundle was left to dry all day. My sister was not spending Christmas Day with us and I felt this odd looking gift needed some instruction soI gave it Christmas Eve. The fabric was still damp, but to see some idea of what it would look like we began to clip and remove the ties.
The next day I finished removing the ties and twisted the fringes. This photo is taken before the final rinse using hair conditioner to wash out and neutralize any remaining soda ash and dye as well as to help soften the fabric and restore the silky sheen.