This is the first time I have used a crock pot for dyeing. I have read others descriptions using a crock pot and had to give it a try with a few skeins of pink, yellow, blue and green superwash baby wool. I used to do a lot of wool dyeing with an acid type wool dye. I thought I had all the basic red, yellow, blue colours, but it turns out I only have red and black. Where did the others go? So I moved to plan B after I looked up dyes on the ProChem website as I do have a lot of Procion MX fibre reactive dye and thought I had read they could be used for wool. Yes, they can though not the first choice. I had all the ingredients except something called Wool Dye Assistant SBS so I am speeding ahead without it and hoping the dye will be fine anyway. The description says it is for a more even dye take up, something I am not concerned with.
First I soaked the skeins with a little dish soap (they call for synthrapol, which I have, but cannot stand the smell of it and from other reading understand that dish soap is just as good) and then I squeezed out the excess liquid. My plan was to use a small amount of liquid for the dye bath and stand the skeins up in the pot letting them soak up the dye liquid.
They took up the dye very well – no colour left in the dyebath at all. I flipped them over and into a rusty-red pot.
Here they are – firstly light baby colours, then one end in a yellow dyepot and then the other end in a rusty red dyepot.
I think the yellow is too light or maybe it is the rusty red is too dark. Anyway I will have to do something about the yellow now and the baby colours are still visible. They sure look ugly so it is back to the dyepot, but this is an experiment after all. I also see I used two pinks and no yellow skein which I had meant to do. Oh well – next time.