Feverfew, Tanacetum parthenium
With the mostly nice weather I have been doing more dyeing with plant materials. The feverfew is abundant in my garden and was obvious for another dyeing experiment. The references I found use chrome as the mordant for feverfew but I didn’t want to use chrome.
The wool is from my own sheep (a number of years ago) commercially spun at Carstairs Woolen Mill in Alberta. The sheep were Corriedale and Hampshire and my recollection is that I mixed it all together. The wool has a soft springy hand and doesn’t felt easily.
The samples below are modified in a bath of (left to right) Copper Sulphate, Iron, Acetic acid (vinegar) and last no modifier for comparison.
I don’t know how fast the colours will be, so will stick the samples on a card, half covered and left in a sunny location.
I picked more Hypericum perforatum flowers and experiment II is in progress with some interesting colour results to be posted once the samples dry. I also have a dyebath simmering using the remaining plant tops using wool both mordanted and un-mordanted.
While the dyebaths simmer I continue to work on the inkle band, getting frustrated by the limitations of this poorly made inkle loom. The fix-it person is working on the old garage sale free find so hopefully it will be ready for the next sample. Turns out the wood is a nice hard maple . The loom needed a tensioning device and a few pegs which are all doable.
Thanks to everyone that told me who the maker of the niddy noddy was. Natural dyeing is certainly exciting – the results not totally predictable even with references because of regional differences in everything from water to soil etc.