Inkle weaving and lichen dyeing
I finished weaving the narrow Andean pebble weave samples what seems like weeks ago. The designs and instructions are from Laverne Waddington’s e-book available on Weavezine. I cut it off and saw the error – too many ends of brown on one side (or too few on the other) How did I miss that? I kept thinking there was something wrong, but it just didn’t twig. Oh well… here are a bunch of bookmarks.
A little August life took precedence over weaving, but I did get a new wider warp onto the inkle loom and have begun weaving some of the wider designs from the monograph. (which is also available in hard copy) I am using string heddles for each of the pebble sheds in front of the regular inkle heddles. All of this looks easier on a backstrap loom, but I am finally getting used to using these and it is going more smoothly. The ends are a bit sticky, and I keep missing a stray end here and there and having to go back as much as forward. That is perhaps just my poor technique and/or the type of yarn. I am using a mixture of 5/2 mercerized and crochet cotton again. The 5/2 just doesn’t have the tight smooth twist of the crochet cotton, but I have more colours to choose from in it. There is a big float in this bit and I will have to take it back – again.
This is a jar of lichen “fermenting” in ammonia. This was a very small handful collected about a month ago. It looks like the right stuff and I am looking forward to trying it out.