My progress so far with the tablet weaving has been slow. It really didn’t take a week to weave these two pieces, but all the mistakes in between take up time and warp. Then there is all the reading about tablet weaving before one actually picks up the shuttle. Once I began weaving there were many ah-ha moments with some pieces of the puzzle that is tablet weaving falling into place. It looks like such a simple process, but as I read more I can see it can become very complicated indeed. Following pattern directions is easy enough, understanding this is more complex than I imagined.
For the first sample I followed the charts and instructions from a Linda Hendrickson article in Weaver’s, Spring 1997 magazine and also available online. I think my sample was a little elongated compared to the magazine photo. (there is some distortion in the photo due to the camera angle)
The second piece was a chart from Guntram’s Tabletweaving Page. My edges suffered a little when I mixed up my directions and had to undo and redo a few picks.
I found that weighting the selvedges separately made life much easier. There is a lot of twist buildup from turning the edge cards in one direction to make a smoother edge. This was of course after I broke two threads from overtwisting having ignored all the expert advise. With double-faced tablet weaving errors show easily, going backwards though I found myself getting very mixed up with turnings.
Yarn – 5/2 mercerized cotton from UKI black and copper. The black yarn became quite fuzzy and shed and there was excess dye smudging the pieces which I think will wash out.
The next challenge is deciding which type of pattern to try after I finish this warp.